Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Hierophant Keyline Progress



I've been working on carving the keyline block for the Hierophant. He's card number 5 in the Tarot Major Arcana (trumps). I carve a little on the floor tiles (tiny details) then shift to the skeletons or columns (larger details). This is because the floor tiles are so tiny and detailed that my right wrist and elbow get sore. I can carve the larger details with my left hand but daren't try carving tiny details with the left. I'm making good progress with it. I just turn on the classic movie channels as I carve. I've seen those old black and whites a thousand times; I visualize the stories as I carve. No need to look away from my carving as I listen to Orsen Wells "we don't need no stinking badges..."

Went to a teaching workshop in Hunting Beach this weekend. It was wonderful. The beach was awesome, the food at the pier was delicious and I actually learned something. The Pearson Publishing workshop on student success covered how to recognize your own learning and teaching style, how to recognize your students' learning styles and how to adjust it for students who don't learn the way you teach. It was pretty valuable information. I picked up some cool teaching tools and books and I won a raffle prize, a T-shirt that says "it's in the syllabus" you teachers out there will wish you had one...

the shirt is one size too small but that will keep me motivated to continue losing weight (I've lost 20lbs since October [was diagnosed pre-diabetic, told to choose; lose it or knock many years off my life span]) anyway I now fit into those few pieces of clothing that I still had from over a decade (2 sizes) ago. Now that I'm into those few pieces (actually they are all I have to wear - the old sizes are so big they fall off) anyway the smaller shirt will give me something to actually SEE the weight loss as it gets looser and looser on me...Actually the shirt is my size but you know t-shirts, 1st washing and it will be a size smaller...

So what does all that have to do with my masters project? Well the only reason I'm reaching for a master's is so that I can teach at university level - so teacher's building blocks are valuable for the teaching I do now and the professoring I will do later. And the way I have lost weight is that I eat more food (more of the right kind) and work out - 5 days a week! Those workouts command a two hour chunk of my day -- that's 10 hours a week I'm not working on art! Believe me you its a setback in my studio time -- but, theoretically, it will make up for it in studio time in my extended life span. Oh and all this healthy eating doesn't mean I'm giving up chocolate, scotch or herb!!!! And of course there's always sex and metal...

4 comments:

Daniel L. Dew said...

Cool design. Why draw in red ink, any particular reason? Only ask because I am mainly self taught and have never seen anyone use red before.

Sharri said...

Patti, you are just fantastic!

Annie B said...

Wow, 20 pounds is fantastic - congratulations! Lifestyle changes are the hardest, and balancing anything new with making art... I think artists are by nature unbalanced :)
Curious to hear what you'll say about the red ink.

Patricia Phare-Camp said...

Aahhh the red ink is not red ink, its red something from double sided red carbon paper - but actually its not carbon paper because carbon is not red - ok so its transfer paper. Its very cool; trace your sketch then place the double sided red transfer paper between the tracing and your block. (tracing face down of course [to reverse image on block]) As you draw over your traced lines the transfer paper simultaneously transfers red lines to you block and your tracing paper. Soooooo awesome - you can tell by the red lines seen through the tracing paper where you've already traced! McClains sells this paper from Japan. (http://www.imcclains.com/catalog/blocks/redcarbonpaper.html)