Monday, February 18, 2008

Bee Plates










WooHoo!
I got the plates today for the Backs of the tarot cards. I ordered letterpress plates in copper from Owosso Graphics in Michigan. They are laser cut in relief. I chose relief because the black lines on the bee bodies would be too thick for intaglio. I was told by a local semi-retired printer that this company was the best for these type of plates as local die makers don't do the older letterpress type of plates.

This is a pretend proof I made by layering a semi-transparent jpg of my design over a scan of the paper I will be using.

Remember you can click on any of these images to see them enlarged for better detail. Use your browser's back button to get back to this blog page from the image page.

I'll post again in a couple of days after I've pulled a proof. The first proofs will be off in color as Daniel Smith Supplies back ordered the Akua thalo blue, titanium white and carbon black inks. They sent me the red, yellow and the amending mediums only. I had to cancel that back order and call McClain's Printmaking Supply. They'll send them today but it will be three days before they arrive here. I know, I'll pull some oily proofs after I've straightened up & organized my studio deck (not perfectly clean, that would take tooooooo long). I'm so excited to proof these and totally inspired get my space organized so I can do this work. Better get to it now before I lose the momentum!

4 comments:

Annie B said...

Holy cow, these plates are awesome.

Anonymous said...

Great print!

Did you design the plates and then have Owosso make them or did Owosso already have the design?

You are using a letterpress machine to print?

I've been wanting to learn letterpress printmaking. But when I've signed up for a class, there haven't been enough other students for the class to "make."

Ellen Shipley said...

These are fantastic. Can't wait to see the finished tarot cards.

Ellen Shipley said...

Wow. I just clicked on Tarot and pulled up your other posts. These are amazing -- and scary and heck! Beats the Crowley deck hands down. ;-j