Wednesday, June 03, 2015

The Preliminary Hermit



The first draft of the hermit...done 4 years ago. Over the past years I focused on the research and now I'm doing the design work. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to carving, starting the strength card, or wait till I've designed the rest of the deck.

Yesterday's digital collage, design work to prep for woodcut prints.

 
every time i look at the traditional hermit card my brain starts singing "this little light of mine..."



 i've always thought the lantern in the waite card looked like a cage holding a star prisoner...

 

Look at my card and the Waite side by side:

in the Waite card the hermit stands upon a baren mountain top with his caged star...
In my version the hermit holds his broken lantern/cage in corn fields admiring the feral stars in the heavens...

in the traditional card the hermit is holding his knowledge to himself, yes we do need to seek alone time to gather our thoughts and develop our higher selves but at some point we need to leave the mountain top and free the light...share our knowledge with others so that it grows and bears fruit...

No comments: