Friday, August 22, 2008

IF: Detach

I had no ideas for this week's Illustration Friday theme Detach and had pretty much given up on coming up with something. Then Wednesday afternoon when I was feeding the critters that make my backyard their home I noticed the three pullets were not following their Mama around anymore. When chicks reach a certain point in adolescence the mother hen, with the help of the horny old rooster, chases them off. There is usually much drama and these chicks are no exception. Now on their own they are more timid than usual. All teenagers are hungry yet they are too frightened by the sudden change that they wont come near me. If a bird flies overhead they run for cover and hide. It came to me that these chicks are not too please with their sudden state of detachment...

1 comment:

Connie said...

Sounds like a couple of 12 year olds we entertained for a couple of days in the summer: in some ways, very mature and in others still small children. A funny age.